Isaiah 2 - The Mountain of the Lord
1. Read Isaiah Chapter 2
2. Focusing on Verses 1 - 5
Isaiah describes seeing ‘The Mountain of the Lord’ in which people go up to be in the presence of God. As a prophet, Isaiah often had visions that he thought were from God. In this instance, Isaiah is envisioning “the last days” in which the people arrive to be taught by the Lord.
3. What could Isaiah’s vision mean?
In my opinion, Isaiah’s vision represents the way God longs for his people to live:
- To be obedient: “The law will go out from Zion”
- To be teachable: “He will teach us in his ways”
- To be kind: “Nation will not take up sword against nation”
- To be holy: “So that we may walk in his paths”
4. Focusing on Verses 6 - 22
Isaiah complains of not only God’s abandonment of His people but also the people’s abandonment of God. It is interesting because the God I know, would never abandon His children, but it seems that the nation are lost in their own materialism to see God in anything that they do. Do you think this is something in the past or can you see this in our nation today?
5. Some things to think/discuss
- In which area of your life do you need to be more obedient?
- In which area of your life do you need to be more teachable?
- In which area of your life do you need to be more kind?
- In which area of your life do you need to be more holy?
- Do you ever feel like God has abandoned you?
- Is there anything which can often often distract you from God?
6. Activity - Letting Go
On some paper, write down the thing that can often distract you from God. Pray about it, giving it God and agreeing to put Him first in everything you do. Then scrunch up the paper and put it in a bin, as a way of showing that you’re prepared to have your focus on God.