Isaiah 1 - Judah's Sin
1. Who was Isaiah?
Isaiah was an influential, educated and well connected Prophet (someone who claims to speak God's words) who lived in Judah around 700 BC. At the time, the people of God were living sinful and unholy lives and Isaiah felt it was his duty to warn them of God's judgement.
2. Why was Judah in such a mess?
Judah used to be part of Israel, but was separated off around 930 BC. Israel had been ruled by 19 different kings, who had all been bad and had lead their people to worship different idols.
3. So what did Isaiah say about it?
Read Isaiah 1 and think/discuss these questions:
- What does Isaiah say about Judah's sin? (1:4)
- How do you think this relates to us now?
- What does Isaiah say about Judah worshipping idols? Does he like it? (1:11)
- Do you think we worship idols like this today? Should we?
- What does Isaiah write of hope for Judah? Especially about God! (1:18/1:26)
- What event is Isaiah prophesying about?
- What does Isaiah tell the people to do in order to turn their eyes towards God? (1:10)
4. Activity - Hearing the word of God
Spend a few minutes praying, opening up a space of quietness for you (and maybe others) to listen to what God has to say, asking him specifically for words or pictures for yourself or someone else. Then spend some time sharing what God may have been saying to you. Sometimes, we can get this wrong but other times we do in fact get it right and can lead someone to connecting closer to God! So have a go!